I don’t know if I mentioned (!) but we recently moved house. Apart from the kitchen and the living room (and the kids’ bedrooms), there are still boxes aplenty and, in fact, an entire room is dedicated to yet more boxes! It’s now 2 whole weeks since the day we moved in and I still haven’t done a day’s work in my new office…because I was struggling for home office ideas and as yet I do not even have a desk!
I’ve been pinning ideas for the office for weeks now, but the pressure of creating a lovely space that will be conducive to lots of work AND be pin-worthy is kind of putting me off making the final decision. What colour palette should I chose? Do I go for the statement desk or the statement rug and chair? Basically I had too much choice but I think I’ve narrowed it down by answering these questions…
Narrowing down your Home Office Ideas
1) What do you want from your home office?
I have spent literally months imagining us in our new house, how I’d spend my days, the positive changes I’d make to my lifestyle. One of the key elements of this vision (also known as a day dream!) was having a quiet, bright space to write and, crucially, read. I would imagine a huge sumptuous chair, with a sheepskin rug on it and a large floor lamp looming over my head!
So, I know I need a desk and space for books and notes and general blogging stuff, but I also really would like a reading space that is NOT a sofa (I fall asleep on sofas far too easily).
2) What are the limitations?
a) We are going to put the Day Bed in this room, as additional space for when we have guests, so this limits the space for huge lamps or sumptuous chairs somewhat!
b) I already have a purple cabinet and a black bookcase, so this limits the colour palette somewhat!
Armed with this information I was able to be a bit more strategic in my pinning. I first searched for black and purple colour palettes and found this baby from my new favourite blogger Mr Kate (who kindly let me share her image here)!
Yellow and purple who’d have though it! So my colour palette is now…
Grey, yellow, purple, black and white.
And for the functionality, I’ve pulled together my favourite home office ideas to come up with this mood board…
Home Office Ideas
1) a light grey for the walls (from Sweet Deco), with lots of inspiring quotes to keep me pumped and working hard!
2) one of the aforementioned quotes… It’s only £6 from this Etsy store.
3) I love this grey rug from M&S
4) A white desk, I guess similar to this layout – again note the images above the desk! (Image borrowed from a brilliant article, 30 Secret Designers’ Tips)
5) A white day bed (we already have this), styled as a sofa with cushions
6) Pops of yellow and purple, such as this cushion (from Unison similar here) and throws
7) A yellow armchair!! I’m not completely sold on which one I want yet, but maybe something like this Habitat chair?
Here’s the space I’m working with and my ideas for layout…
What do you think of my home office ideas? Do you think I’m crazy to add yellow into the mix?!
I’d love to hear your recommendations (particularly for furniture you love!) and any design ideas you have – what would you do in my position?!