As a gal who goes to bed in her makeup and then just goes over the same makeup again in the morning, I’ve been discovering, the hard and spotty way, that this is a beauty regime of the past. My chin has become a heaven for spotty little blighters and when one goes, 2 more come to the funeral.
I’ve been checking this out and of course, it’s one of those common early pregnancy symptoms. It’s caused by a serge of hormones that in turn causes an increase in sebum, an oil in your skin that keeps it supple. Too much and our pores become more blocked than a spotty teenager.
Needless to say that means there’s probably not much to do about it but in my quest to make my life and hopefully yours a bit less spotty, I’ve been researching how to have beautifully clear skin and here are my top tips:
- Wash your make up off at night (I know ridiculous), and clean twice a day with a mild cleanser.
- Be gentle with your face – if you scrub too hard it can make it all worse. So use your hands to gently wash your face and pat it dry with a towel (rather than rubbing really hard, which is what I do. If you over-strip your face it can make you more likely to breakouts – typical!).
- Buy an oil-free moisturiser (I’ve been suffering from dry skin as well as, so slathering on oily moisturiser isn’t going to have helped) and same for your suncream.
- Wash your pillowcases, face towels, etc. regularly.
Being a strong believer in ‘let food by thy medicine’, I also have some foody tips for luscious skin (chocolate isn’t on the list – booooo! – apart from small amounts of extra dark chocolate. But who likes that?):
- Eat plenty of our foe turned friend, Vitamin A: milk, fish, eggs, and carrots. Remember to avoid Vitamin A supplements and anything high in Retinols (such as liver – see my post about gaining weight slowly and scroll the bottom, it explains the good cop, bad cop nature of Vit A).
- Get rid of sugar/refined grains: I know this is disappointing but replacing it with whole grains can mean the difference between looking like a teenager on prom-day or a baby’s bottom (a smooth one, not one with nappy rash).
- Eat healthy fats: avocado, salmon, and almonds.
- Go juicy: here’s the Juice Master’s recipe for for clear skin (his ‘clear skin elixir’): juice 2 apples, 1 handful of spinach, 1/4 cucumber, 1 stick celery. Then blitz in a blender with 1/2 avocado and some ice. It’s bleeding delicious!!
I hope this helps – let me know how you get on my spotty comrades xx